Friday, July 3, 2009

TO SCHOOL OR NOT TO SCHOOL?


I was too young for the school when I was about five yrs. old, but after my incident with the bike, it was OK. So, the teacher who held a front porch kindergarten school next door, must have had a talk with my folk about signing me on.


For a few Shillings(English currency) a week, I was booked into school.

However, my brother was now left alone to his own device. I was just next door. Across the fence on a crowded front porch. I can only surmise, now, that the teacher saw my accident with the bicycle that fateful day we shot across the street in front of its path.
School was very interesting to me. We had to write on a slate with a slate-pencil. Our teacher and her relative were the teacher and head-mistress who controlled everything.
We learned our A B Cs and we counted daily. The Veranda (porch) was packed and energised.

No comments: