Sunday, July 5, 2009

PRESENTS FROM ABROAD


Momma was the best at caring for us from afar. She worked two jobs to pay for our gifts and still support herself back in England.

She wanted us (not the neighbors), to enjoy the fruits of her labor. However, Yvonne, shared the parcel. Neighbors gathered every time we opened our parcels.

"Vonne, you mumma rich, inna England, look pon de big box!"

Another chimed in, "Mek we see weh she sen fi-u."

Neighbors were free to dip in and help themselves to whatever they wanted, first.


I loved the unusual gifts, like peanut butter! Delicious!
Most importantly, momma sent us basic necessities. Soap-on-a-rope(unusual), among other things we could not purchase in Jamaica. Clothes and shoes. All the things she thought we needed to make life better on a daily basis.
Momma worked hard in England to send her love to us. She even sent us spending money. Don't ask what they did with it or how that was divvied (divided) up. I was just a six year old.
"Dis shoes, nice! ...Lorks-King! ...Vann, gimmie dis, no?"


Anyway, mommy sent smart toys for Orien and me. I received my first baby-doll. It was an arm-full, with sleeping eyes. I named her Baby. She slept safe in my arms the first night. On the big bed in the front room, with Yvonne, Tony and Stafford.


The very next day, one of the neighbors from the yard asked Yvonne to let her little girl borrow my baby. It was returned days later with the head cracked down the center, and the eyes knocking around inside of it. I was hurt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.