Tuesday, April 13, 2010

SNEAKING INTO SCHOOL - MEETING THE CANE


Mommy, found out that I was being used as a maid and babysitter, so she sent monies for me to attend Catholic school.


I was almost always late for school when I was a 9 yr. old.

With all I had to do before going off to school, I look back and forgive myself.



Can you imagine life without a clock? No one took the time to teach me how to read one at that time. I believe I lived by rote. Awakening with the sunlight fairy who entered the room and tickled my nose.


What a life I lived? Too many cares and too few hours. Breakfast consisted of mostly bread and butter or egg and bread, if we were lucky. Anyway, I can remember the pride I felt as I dashed out the door to school everyday in my brown and white uniform (which I washed and ironed every weekend).


My long hair was mostly parted and braided into two or three plats (plaits/french-braids). Back in Jamaica I was lucky to have my hair washed more than 4 times a year, but it was thick, black and shiny, from vigorous combing, by my big sister Candace(name change).


Remember I was practically an orphan, raised by my 21 yr. old sister and juvenile older brothers. Daddy was only home after dark. He was a white collar worker, who left at sun-up everyday. He worked the job of 3+ people for the pay of one person. He was a softy.


I still say I don't think he was my real daddy. Why? Details in the book!


Anyway, back to school. I remember the final day I sneaked by underneath the nun's office window to go to class when she confronted me, and marched me into her office. She whipped my legs with her cane until they burned with welts. That was the very last time that I was late for school.


These are the bones of my upcoming book, so I may repeat myself from time to time. Please bear with me. I appreciate your comments. Thanks for becoming a Jamaican Princess(ajp) Follower.

No comments: