Thursday, April 15, 2010

A SHORT CRUSH ON GEOGRAPHY


I loved Our Lady Of Angels catholic school.

I was such a loner, but someone had a crush on me while I had a crush on Geography!


I just was so shy, I did not exactly know how to make friends. After school, I used to stay back and help with the clean up of the back yard as we sang along with the nuns. The following poem is a very melodic song, that made the act of picking up papers a lot of fun instead of work.




Bits of papers, bits of papers,

Lying on the ground, lying on the ground!


They make the place untidy, they make the place untidy


Pick them up, pick them up!



I made a few friends in spite of myself, this way. We loved it! Then after picking up papers, we would swing on the swing-sets in the back yard under the trees in the shade.


I can also remember having two or three classes in Geography, when I got yanked out of the class by a nun who said that I was in the wrong class. Mmm. Anyway, I fell in love with Geography because it was my easiest class, next to English. Imagine that?! That was the very last time I took Geography.



In Social studies, or was it Math? ...that I got my long hair pulled out the window by a boy, for about a week until I got moved to another spot in class. He must've had a crush on little me. Haha-ha!


Lunch time was crowded, noisy and lean, because I had just enough to pay for a small Pepsi and 2 dry cookies. Not healthy, but that was all I could afford. There was NO free lunch in Jamaica back then.

No comments: