Tuesday, September 8, 2009

SPOTLESS OR ELSE!


OUR HOME WAS IMMACULATE.


I received one of my most memorable beatings one day when I decided to do chores after playing.


It was a beautiful day. Trees swaying in the sun. Birds softly chirping. When after-school neighbors gathered together just to play. Not one of us was older than age eight. I must have been about 7 years old.


We had a good time playing shop and house. We even found a good sized box to use as the bus.

Each of us took turns as the bus-driver who pulled the box from one imaginary bus stop to another.


We bought and sold dirt goods, from our friendly shop keeper and paid for it with little stones. I even had my turn as shop-keeper. I wrapped the imaginary rice and flour in the brown paper we tore from brown paper bags. All this time we played in the big shady back yard, until late in the day.


Finally, reality took over when I heard my sister, Yvonne, calling. "Dorreth!!!!!!!!!"

That beating changed my life. From that day forward, Cleaning my home came first and all other activities took a back seat.


If only we could still pay for real food and services with stones, life would be just dreamy!

A bit rough riding around on our bottoms inside a card-board box from place to place, though (LOL)!

No comments: